Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Requiem For A Curmudgeon!

Denny Ray McElyea
Gently passed away today
No more reason to complain
No more suffering, no more pain
A curmudgeon, he certainly was
Often cantankerous without pause
He'd go to Cuckoo, not to Bumpass
To fix your stove, electric or gas
Come to your house, calm you down
If there was an appliance crisis around
Four years my neighbor, he was the best
His house, The Pub, always a beer fest
If I needed calming after school
His wise words would settle this fool
When I had to move from Baker Branch
He found my new home, Anderson's "ranch"
And, when my water level fell
He shared the water from his well
For years, used his water at my tire home
Was great, gave me a reason to roam
Back to the Pub, to hang with Ray
Never knew what he'd have to say
Never knew what new music I'd hear
But, knew I'd get both sarcasm & cheer
Cuz he was a curmudgeon, indeed
Liked his Budweiser, Kools & weed
He'd always share but never his cold Bud's
Bring your own if you wanted suds
And, he grumble about "them kids today"
Yet, never forgot those kid's birthday
With little presents he'd surprise
Then with his camera he would pry
Just the right look, with his magic eye
Love to shoot and share his pictures
At the right moment, your best features
It's all about the lighting, he would say
He worked his magic everyday
Touched so many, changed us all
So, many memories, both big & small
So, many good times, so much fun
Sitting on his porch in the setting sun
Know my life would be so different today
If I hadn't known, Denny Ray!



On this cool, cloudy, stalled front day
Hurricane Humberto has been steered away
And, a few quakes but no big sway
Feels rainy, now a few drops falling this way
Thinking of Denny & our buddy Jay
Life is short, better enjoy everyday
Never know how many spins you'll get
Not the did's, but the didn't's we regret
So, share a smile, a laugh, a hug
Battle & resist gravity's tug
Cuz in the end, gravity wins
Until then, fewer frowns, more grins
And, remember the sweetness of Denny Ray
Today On Earth!


No comments:

Post a Comment