Friday, December 7, 2018

The Earliest Sunset!

The earliest sunset was today
For the entire year
Not at the solstice, you say
I'll try and make it clear!

Now the solstice is the shortest day
With the least amount of light
That's when Earth's most tipped away
And, we have our longest night

To get this you'll have to think in 3'D
And, imagine us circling the sun
While also spinning round daily
So the sun rises then sets, what fun!

We both rotate and revolve west to east
Counter-clockwise from above North Pole 
Sunset, the earth blocks the radiation feast
Sunrise spins us back toward life giving Sol

The other piece to imagine is the latest sunrise
That's January 4th, two weeks past solstice
Say what! you exclaim in surprise 
Hang in there, almost done explaining this!

So about two weeks on either side
Of winter's start, sun gets the biggest block
Today's position caused the early sun hide
Four weeks hence, darkest morning on the rock

I've rambled into Friday morning
And, clear I have not made it
I should have made an early warning
Before I started this rambling bit

Maybe I'll be clearer later today
But, I make no guarantee
Hang with me, as I end this say
Check back later and we'll see...
Likely, another chilly one, Today on Earth

No comments:

Post a Comment