Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Buckhorn Ridge to Twin Falls

Today On Earth, a hike in the Pisgah National Forest, we: Nancy, Lori, Fred and I followed Avery's Creek, lively with water from recent rains, up to the Twin Falls, water tumbling and splashing and spraying down a series of rock ledges. And, not one fall, but two not more than 200 yards apart but with water coming from different drainages but both headed to Avery's Creek.  Hard to see and not sure of the geology, I'd have to guess the rock of both falls being related up near the top of a ridge.
Fred, the biologist/naturalist of the group, answered all questions asked and identified dozens of plant species, and we even sampled some with various taste and medicinal properties. Wild Ginger with its little brown jug flowers, the bottle cleaner flowers of Galax, poison ivy everywhere, stinging nettles ID'd and photoed and more and more, most of which I have already forgotten. I'm the rock guy, plants and remembering their name, they slip away quickly and I heard a lot of names today. Many were plants in my chunk of forest in Va. but many were new to me.
But, we dodged the rain, during the hike, as the hike ended and even after lunch and ice cream, a fine start to my adventure, driving about the Hendersonville area with lots of lovely views. Tomorrow on to South Carolina and Georgia, Atlanta and more adventures on Earth. Hope you got and enjoyed your chunk of the planet, Today On Earth.

1 comment: