Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Arroyo Del Oso - Bear Creek

After a stormy evening in Albuquerque, today dawned cool with the typical deep azure sky of the mountain west; so cool I came back in off the deck with my coffee. Deanna had caught an early flight to the east coast and Jeff was off to work so I headed to a nearby golf course: Arroyo del Oso, the drainage of the bear.
For none desert west folks, an arroyo is the low spot in an area's drainage or watershed and where the water runs when the rains come.  Since this is the desert that means t'storms and lots of water at once and then no water for long stretches. In cities, arroyos are often lined with concrete to cut down on the monstrous erosion flash flooding can bring and that was the case with the arroyo of the bear. I did get pictures of the arroyo but, fortunately, no bears were seen.
I joined up with two local guys, a third joined on # 5 and it seemed we were the only ones on the course. I noticed a roadrunner, the state bird of New Mexico, scooting along the fence line of an early hole, the second half of his run with a lizard in his mouth, just out for a morning snack (they don't slow down for pics).  My morning snack, consumed while I played the first 3 holes was a breakfast burrito, just to keep the chile, green or red, flowing through me.
The clouds have built again today, thundered rumbled down from Sandia Peak during golf, but no rain has fallen yet today. The storm clouds hid the view of Venus and Jupiter last night, except for quick glimpses, the two planets now less than 10 degrees apart (a fist at arms length) and closing fast. Get out and check it out.  That's what Jeff and I are about to do, get out and check out the big planet, I recommend you do the same, beach or mountain, forest or desert, it's all amazing, Today on Earth.
Arroyo del Oso looking east, uphill, toward Sandia.
 Arroyo del Oso looking west - big, flash flooded rocks below the concrete cart path/dam.
 Sandia Peak with cumulus building.
 The golfing blogger
 Insect attracting flower of the Cholla (DO NOT TOUCH) cactus.

No comments:

Post a Comment