Monday, August 13, 2018

Big Shake on North Slope: AK

A magnitude 6.4 quake gave the caribou and oil field workers quite a shake earlier today on the North Slope of Alaska. The tsunami warning site is not coming up for me...hopefully, it hasn't been swept away. I don't remember a tsunami in the Arctic Ocean, but earth is old so I'm sure they have been. Perhaps one will hammer some Russian military bases as evil land of Putin continues to stake claims on the Arctic. Let's hope donnie johnie the chump doesn't apologize if that happens and offer to pay the Russian more than his team already has.
My weekend started with the realization that my neighbor's logging crew, Victor Randal Logging out of New Kent, had seen no problem with dumping slash from their butchering of the forest onto my land and paths; thanks! After speaking to Victor and looking at the problem this morning and getting assurances it would be made right, a quick check reveals that their idea of fixing the problem is different than mine. To "fix" the problem they drove onto my property, dammed up the drainage they had previously just dropped slash in and still my path is blocked with debris. As I knew when I walked out to look at the problem, they really don't care and certainly couldn't be troubled to get out of giant machine to actually "fix" the mess they had created. Victor also didn't think the pond spillway has "new" man had filled in with slash would be a problem, he's wrong on that. But, 0.4" of rain last night didn't create an issue.
The rain and clouds last night did rule out any chance of seeing the Perseid meteor shower at its peak. And, with the moon being New early Saturday morning the sky would have been very dark for one of the year's more reliable showers. But, rain showers rule out meteor showers. Perseid meteors will likely be visible tonight but fewer than last night's peak. Since there was a lunar eclipse 2 weeks ago, there must have been a solar eclipse with Saturday's New moon and there was, a partial eclipse across Greenland and Northern Eurasia. The Alaska quake (and any potential tsunami) would not have effected any eclipse watchers along coastlines, the quake was over a day after the eclipse.
Didn't notice any quakes on Hawaii today (there are hundreds of aftershocks in AK) so the eruption must still be in lull mode. One nice happening on my weekend, the marriage of my cousin to a delightful young woman, with the very happy couple honeymooning in Hawaii right now. Best wishes Jenny and Zach!!💖
The big brown dog is a little bummed, the kids and dog he likes to visit are back at school and indoors. He will have to deal with me. Sadly, I just had to put him on a leash on our walk with the butchers whacking trees down so close; he wants to ride in any vehicle he can see and I'm guessing they likely wouldn't hesitate to drop a tree on him. The American creed: money and greed rule over any damage you might do to someone else's property, suck it up, Today On Earth.

Slash on my paths


No comments:

Post a Comment