Tuesday, July 17, 2018

In the Doughnut Hole, Again!

It rained yesterday, just not here. At one point, there was rain on the radar all the way around my house, and I could hear the thunder and feel the wind but other than a few drops nothing fell, here.  So, after 10" on rain in June, there has yet to be measurable rain in July; it can seem a fickle planet, but, I have to remind myself, it doesn't care.
Today is forecast to be even more stormy with a front pushing through and a three day break in both temp and humidity before the return to the reality of summer this weekend. Last weekend was a lovely reminder of why people visit the mountains in the summer: it's cooler. Red Wing Roots music festival - year 6 - was bigger (word is out) than ever but still small enough to be friendly and fun for all involved. Always a treat to go see the big limestone chimneys and enjoy a weekend of friends and tunes surrounded by ancient mountains; pretty nice place, Virginia.
The drive home got sketchy when I encountered a monster t'storm on the east slope of the Blue Ridge, a far cry from the gentle showers at the festival Sunday, but like most storms it was short lived and the rain didn't follow farther east.  The large brown dog was excited to see me and ready to head home, too when I did make it back to my sister's - and what a shock to get out into the hot, muggy funk  that had been the weekend in central Va.
Hawaii is a wonderful place, too (so I've heard) unless you bought land too close to the volcano and now are looking for a place to live elsewhere; it's still erupting big out there. Nothing big in quake land when I checked yesterday and mostly the same today, 5 quakes at or above mag. 5 but nothing anywhere terribly problematic.
I know the waxing crescent moon has been sliding by both Mercury and Venus but with clouds around I have seen neither encounter. Tonight is likely to be the same around here, cooler, drier air tomorrow will hopefully allow some sky viewing with the growing crescent about halfway between Venus and Jupiter.
There's a quick 4 day recap, time to get a big dog out for a stroll, a town run, likely a nap (yesterday's was needed, deep and renewing) and then we'll see if any rain will fall in the doughnut hole, Today on Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment